Static IP on DHCP system?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Aug 25 14:16:28 PDT 2006

:That would put that and your router on different netblocks; it would
:likely route packets it doesn't know about out via it's default
:route.
:
:You won't be able to adminster your router from within your LAN,
:and hopefully your ISP is filtering RFC1918 addresses. :)
:...
:--
:Brian Reichert				<reichert at xxxxxxxxxxx>

    It should be ok, actually.  The 10. address will be on the local net
    from the point of view of the originating machine, which means that
    it will try to resolve it via ARP instead of defaulting it out to
    the router.  The router will never see it.

    I run a 10. network on the same physical ethernet that I run my
    internet-routable 216.240.41.* block.

    Even so, it is generally a good idea to have rules on the router
    to discard any IP frames received on the LAN interface that do not
    originate from an internet routable address.  It is also a good
    idea to have rules on the router that discard any IP frames received
    on the WAN interface that have LAN origination IPs (i.e. someone external
    trying to spoof either your internet-routable IP(s) or your unroutable
    IP(s)).

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>