Not sure how to do this tricky install...

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Thu Aug 17 20:11:20 PDT 2006

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
I'm sure this isn't difficult, it's just a little more complex than I've done,
and I need the DFly specific way.
I have a spare box I want to use for DFLy as a server.  It will be totally
headless.  It will plug into a home broadband gateway/router, and should be
accessible by other machines on the same router.
The tricky part is since this machine is not the gateway/router, how do I set
it up to be accessible from other machines on the network?  Is it as simple as
/etc/hosts?
In any case, is it possible to start the install with a keyboard, but then
move to another machine and ssh in to finish?
Jonathon McKitrick
--
My other computer is your Windows box.
Presuming 'headless' means there is not now, or may not in future, even be a

THEN:

- edit /etc/ttys and enable at least one serial console:

ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on  insecure

We globally change all 'secure' to 'insecure' at the same time.
boot -s will need the root pw. Keeps remote site-techs honest.
- creat /boot.config with "-P", or if *never* to be keyboard or VGA "-h".

Make sure all this works through a reboot or three.

Shutdown, move the storage device to your 'headless' SBC or MB.

- optionally attach a serial terminal (I use an HP-200-LX) or null-modem cable
to the serial port on another PC or laptop.

- ELSE just boot it, try pinging it, ssh in a few seconds after pings start
being returned.

You may then use ssh to build a custom kernel, etc.

Our rackmount servers typically go their entire lives this way, with MB changes
HDD replacement, OS upgrades, etc.

HTH,

Bill Hacker