SATA to CF -- great for embedded DFly firewalls

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Aug 12 09:52:24 PDT 2006

:>:Is Dragonfly easy to configure for readonly root?
:>
:>    Sure.  How do you think the CD boots ?
:
:I didn't say 'can it' I said 'easy'. Is it a) documented
:and b) trivial - or is it one of these 'work through the
:rc scripts in the boot process yourself and work it out'
:jobs?
:
:Sort of thing I'm looking for is a boot param that I can
:default to 'readonly-root' and override with 'readonly-root=no'
:for when I screw up the image.
:
:James

    Well, you can always boot single-user (boot -s).  The root filesystem
    will be mounted read-only and no service will be started.

    It is also a good idea to store a backup kernel image on slash.  Even
    though 'make installkernel' will rename /kernel to /kernel.old, it is
    a good idea to have a working kernel stored as /kernel.bak so you can
    'boot /kernel.bak' in case you blow up the installed kernel.

    If you need temporary writable filesytems, e.g. for /tmp and /var/tmp,
    mount_mfs can be used.