Replacing vixie cron with dillon's cron in base?

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at hackerheaven.org
Fri Apr 21 03:28:52 PDT 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 12:02, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> On 21.04.2006, at 11:27, Emiel Kollof wrote:
> > I notice that we have Vixie's cron daemon in base.
> >
> > Why don't we have Matt's own cron system there instead of vixie's?
> > dcron is
> > simple, small, effective and secure. It supports multiuser crons as
> > well. It
> > would probably need a relicensing (because dcron is GPL).
> >
> > If people still want vixie's cron, it's in pkgsrc-wip anyway.
>
> with the same line of argumentation i could say let's keep vcron and if
> people want dcron, it's in pkgsrc-wip anyway (and if it isn't there, it
> should be easy to put it there).  unless of course it administers the
> same or has other important features we don't want to miss.  so what's
> the real gain with dcron?

Well, it's light, small and compact, and it does all we need (which is
schedule commands to run at certain times). Administration-wise it's not
different. (edit crons with crontab -e, same crontab format). It's also very
mature (and because of that, also very secure). I don't actually see why we
couldn't get rid of vixie's cron and use dcron instead.

Bonus fact is that dcron will be maintained because then it's part of
dragonfly as well.

Cheers,
Emiel
--
I do desire we may be better strangers.
		-- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"