Newbie-question: Ports and Packages

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 3 14:22:48 PDT 2006

Thomas Schlesinger wrote:

> Simon,
>
> I'm coming from Gentoo, so I'm a rookie on *BSD and pkgsrc. First, I must get
> familiar with the new stuff ;-)

Welcome, Thomas!

I'm a fan of Gentoo and DragonFly also, and I may be able to answer
some newbie-type questions for you.  The DragonFlyMeisters are busy
making the operating system better for all of us -- so they may not
have the time to answer basic *BSD questions for you.

I will be happy to answer really basic questions for you off-list
(this is a real email address) but I may choose to cross-post any of
my answers to this list if I think they may benefit other DragonFly
users (not likely ;o)