atheros card and wpa_supplicant

Alex Burke alexjeffburke at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 17:04:02 PDT 2006

Have you run at least `ifconfig ath0 up' before `wpa_supplicant -i
ath0 -c conf'?
That turned out to be a very good question! I didnt realise you had to
do that before running the supplicant....and tat got me further.
Now, it runs its startup checks but starts looping never finding a
"suitable AP", and the messages that repeat are as follows:
Starting AP scan (broadcast SSID)
Received 0 bytes of scan results (0 BSSes)
Scan results: 0
Selecting BSS from priority group 0
No suitable AP found
Setting scan request: 5 sec 0 usec
and then a message from the kernel always comes up:
ath0: device timeout
I think I should mention that the network is WPA2-PSK encrypted, but
under FreeBSD 6 I dont remember doing any particularly different. ISTR
the supplicant taking the settings and doing the right thing with
them.
I also cloak the SSID, hence the scan_ssid=1.

Would it be worth lowering the security level on my AP to see if that helps?

Apologies for the stupidity the first time around, Alex J Burke.