Dspam daemon fails to start

Andreas Hauser andy at splashground.de
Fri Apr 7 01:35:02 PDT 2006

terry.tree wrote @ Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:27:33 +0000:
> On 4/5/06, Petr Janda <elekktretterr at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Apparently im overworked, stressed out, scared from up to 20 speeding offences
> > and losing my license. I didnt realize rc.conf had dspam=NO in it.
>
> How is dspam ?  I switched to gmail to help with spam because all of
> the anti-spam tools seemed to require tons of admin work.  I'd like to
> run my own little mail server again because I hate all the errors I
> see from gmail, and especially when I can't log in because of some
> error at gmail.

Greylisting will kill most of the spam.
The first time an IP sends an email it will get a soft error telling
it to come back later. When it indeed comes back later you accept the
email and put the senders IP in the whitelist (for some time say 30 days).

An easy way to get greylisting is using qpsmtpd http://smtpd.develooper.com/
plus you can easily customize it with plugins written in perl.

Alas it has legal problems in .de as it intentionally slows down the
communication, which is not allowed (although i don't know how this
would end up in a court since there are enough arguments for it).

--
Andy