More on vinum woes

Jake Maciejewski maciejej at msoe.edu
Tue Sep 13 19:53:58 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 17:47 +0100, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
> > Since you are personally using this solution, I'm thinking I could do
> > a lot worse. I need reliability more than anything (which is why I've
> > gone DragonFly). The way vinum is behaving, maybe I should try this
> > strategy and see how it works?
>
> I have never was able to set my trust on Vinum, given the number of bug
> reports that riddle it in the FreeBSD GNATS database.  It was written in
> good faith, but it is somewhat unwantedly complex.
>
> At some point, I would like to spend my time in an effort to writing a new
> volume manager, for DragonFly.  The new volume manager will take into
> account the then stable features such as VFS transactions, IO scheduling
> and direct-to-DMA facilities.  It is not something I have fully thought
> out but it will be in the pipeline for the coming year or next.

Would porting Solaris ZFS be easier than writing a new volume manager?
Even if porting ZFS would be more difficult, there would be some
advantages.

It hasn't been released yet, but from what I can tell, ZFS will be a
128-bit, atomic, checksumming filesystem with an integrated volume
manager.

See http://www.sun.com/2004-0914/feature/ for basics.

--
Jake Maciejewski <maciejej at xxxxxxxx>