More on vinum woes

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Tue Sep 13 09:47:57 PDT 2005

Dave Hayes wrote:
Since you are personally using this solution, I'm thinking I could do
a lot worse. I need reliability more than anything (which is why I've
gone DragonFly). The way vinum is behaving, maybe I should try this
strategy and see how it works?
I have never was able to set my trust on Vinum, given the number of bug
reports that riddle it in the FreeBSD GNATS database.  It was written in
good faith, but it is somewhat unwantedly complex.

At some point, I would like to spend my time in an effort to writing a new
volume manager, for DragonFly.  The new volume manager will take into
account the then stable features such as VFS transactions, IO scheduling
and direct-to-DMA facilities.  It is not something I have fully thought
out but it will be in the pipeline for the coming year or next.

For now, it might be better to go with a hardware RAID solution, such as
3ware controllers.

				Hiten Pandya
				hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx