New project machines on order.

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Tue Sep 6 06:34:44 PDT 2005

Erik P. Skaalerud wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:
    I decided to try out the 'ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe' MB.
Those mainboards perform very well and are generally stable. The only
problem with them is the chipset fan. It runs at ~8000rpm and the
bearings stop working after a month or so (in all the cases I've seen).

You should really keep an eye on that fan. If it starts to fubar, just
replace it with some kind of 3rd-party heatsink and fan.
Yes, I have immediately replaced the chip HSF with a passive Zalman unit
(NB47J) upon recieving that board for a pc for my sister. Those Zalman
heatsinks are cheap, do their job well and are easy to fit. Just
remember to turn the HSF when removing it, instead of pull (after you've
detached the pushpins ofcourse), or you might end up with a nForce4 chip
in your hands due to the adhesive power of the heat transfer paste.

Cheers,
--
		-- Thomas E. Spanjaard
		   tgen at xxxxxxxxxxxxx