More on vinum woes

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 14 12:52:33 PDT 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
<cut price/performance SCSI vs SATA>
Exactly my conclusion when I searched for a new server a while ago.
I wanted to go for the sun fire v20z (as some may have noticed I tested
Df on it) but I needed 300GB+ storage in a hotswap raid configuration.
The SAN/NAS solution where way to expensive. But I was very convinced by
the amd cpu's.

Because money is always an issue at my place I decided to build the
server myself from components (after explaining the risk to my boss), so
I took 4 250GB 7.200 rpm SATA drives in a hotswap RAID 1+0 (FastTrak
S150-SX4M-B) configuration on a AMD64 tyan (2885ANRF dual opteron 248)
board.

The machine feels faster then my dual XEON bord with 4 15.000RPM SCSI
disk in RAID-5. But that might be apple/orange.

Perhaps only stability could be a reason to stick to SCSI as SATA disk
are in my experience more are more failure prone, but the hotswap RAID
1+0 relatively solves that problem for me.

Hack with the money I saved on 0,5 TB storage I can almost buy a new server.

--
mph