More on vinum woes

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Mon Sep 12 03:25:55 PDT 2005

I think I've narrowed the problem down to a repeatable thing that you
don't have to reboot over:

# vinum
vinum -> list
0 drives:
0 volumes:
0 plexes:
0 subdisks:
vinum -> create -f vinum.conf
5 drives:
D a1                    State: up       Device /dev/ad5a        Avail:
171/286168 MB (0%)
D a2                    State: up       Device /dev/ad6a        Avail:
171/286168 MB (0%)
D a3                    State: up       Device /dev/ad7a        Avail:
171/286168 MB (0%)
D a4                    State: up       Device /dev/twed0a      Avail:
171/286168 MB (0%)
D a5                    State: up       Device /dev/twed1a      Avail:
171/286168 MB (0%)

2 volumes:
V raidvola              State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:        558 GB
V raidvolb              State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:        558 GB

2 plexes:
P raidvola.p0        R5 State: init     Subdisks:     5 Size:        558 GB
P raidvolb.p0        R5 State: init     Subdisks:     5 Size:        558 GB

10 subdisks:
S raidvola.p0.s0        State: empty    PO:        0  B Size:        139 GB
S raidvola.p0.s1        State: empty    PO:     1871 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvola.p0.s2        State: empty    PO:     3742 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvola.p0.s3        State: empty    PO:     5613 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvola.p0.s4        State: empty    PO:     7484 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvolb.p0.s0        State: empty    PO:        0  B Size:        139 GB
S raidvolb.p0.s1        State: empty    PO:     4001 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvolb.p0.s2        State: empty    PO:     8002 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvolb.p0.s3        State: empty    PO:       11 MB Size:        139 GB
S raidvolb.p0.s4        State: empty    PO:       15 MB Size:        139 GB
vinum -> stop
vinum unloaded
# vinum
vinum -> list
0 drives:
0 volumes:
0 plexes:
0 subdisks:
vinum -> quit
#

That's the main problem (unless I am doing something wrong). Further:

# vinum read /dev/ad5a
# vinum list
1 drives:
D a1                    State: up       Device /dev/ad5as1a     Avail:
171/286168 MB (0%)
D a2                    State: referenced       Device  Avail: 0/0 MB
D a3                    State: referenced       Device  Avail: 0/0 MB
D a4                    State: referenced       Device  Avail: 0/0 MB
D a5                    State: referenced       Device  Avail: 0/0 MB

2 volumes:
V raidvola              State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:        558 GB
V raidvolb              State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:        558 GB

2 plexes:
P raidvola.p0        R5 State: initializing     Subdisks:     5 Size:
558 GB
P raidvolb.p0        R5 State: initializing     Subdisks:     5 Size:
558 GB

10 subdisks:
S raidvola.p0.s0        State: empty    PO:        0  B Size:        139 GB
S raidvola.p0.s1        State: crashed  PO:     1871 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvola.p0.s2        State: crashed  PO:     3742 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvola.p0.s3        State: crashed  PO:     5613 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvola.p0.s4        State: crashed  PO:     7484 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvolb.p0.s0        State: empty    PO:        0  B Size:        139 GB
S raidvolb.p0.s1        State: crashed  PO:     4001 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvolb.p0.s2        State: crashed  PO:     8002 kB Size:        139 GB
S raidvolb.p0.s3        State: crashed  PO:       11 MB Size:        139 GB
S raidvolb.p0.s4        State: crashed  PO:       15 MB Size:        139 GB

As I remember reading -any- of the disks used to bring up all the
disks.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at xxxxxxxxxxx

In a dark alley, a pickpocket tried to snatch Nasrudin's
purse. There was a violent struggle, but eventually Nasrudin
got the thief pinned on the ground.  At this moment, a
charitable woman passing called out: "You bully, let the
little man up and give him a chance!"  "Madam," panted
Nasrudin, "you ignore the trouble which I have had getting
him down."