Purpose of lukemftpd?

Gabriel Ambuehl gaml at buz.ch
Tue Sep 6 01:51:00 PDT 2005

Marcin Jessa wrote:

>Please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know NetBSD's ftpd does not support SSL.
>Wouldn't bsdftpd-ssl be a more appropriate software for a modern O.S ?

I've found the ftpd in FreeBSD to be powerful enough for most things. If
you need encrypted transmissions, chances are you should be using SFTP
in first place (as anon FTP over SSL doesn't make much sense in my book
;) as OpenSSH likely will be running anyhow and there's no point in
opening more possible holes.

Furthermore, FTP-SSL client support isn't widespread from what I gather
whereas many products now do SFTP.... There are even GPL'ed windows GUI
clients, which makes me think many might finally get rid of
authenticated FTP altogether (it's a truly horrible protocol in my book,
just look at it's usage of ports).