UFS filesystem size limit

David Cuthbert dacut at kanga.org
Sun Sep 4 20:40:18 PDT 2005

walt wrote:
Are you counting a crash as a form of 'reboot'?  I can certainly
understand why a busy kernel developer might want to speed up
something he does many time a day -- but most sysadmins probably
never want to reboot...
Heh... a crash is not only "a form" but probably "the form" of reboot
Matt was thinking of.

I've watched ReiserFS crash and burn in horribly bad ways that the
resulting fsck upon reboot took a long weekend to complete.

Of the various Linux filesystems I've used, I'm come to prefer XFS.  The
slowest operation seems to be deleting directories with large numbers of
files.  Otherwise, though, it's reasonably zippy and quite stable.