Journalling idea

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at hackerheaven.org
Wed Sep 21 06:15:21 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 12:17, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> Oliver Fromme wrote:
> >The result would be that the backup filesystem represented
> >the state of the original filesystem as of one hour earlier.
> >It would be a "moving snapshot", so to speak, which could
> >be useful for file recovery (accidental rm) and debugging.
> >
> >Would that work, or am I dreaming?
>
> As far as I understand, that would work easily. However, it might not
> even be needed once UNDO is working (that's right, there's plan for TWO
> way journalling ;)

I believe Solaris has (or had) something like this. I used to work at SARA,
where everyone had a .snapshot dir in their $HOME which was a symlink to
their homedir somewhere on a mounted snapshot of the /home filesystem. I
believe it worked with some cronjobs that utilized fssnap that updated it
every once in a while. But I guess that's not the same :)

I believe something similar can be built using FreeBSD 5 and up with the UFS2
snapshotting. Don't know what Matt thinks of implementing snapshot support
though. But this could indeed replace that. Maybe a read-only "view" of the
filesystem mounted or represented somewhere that has the state of the
filesystem of a configurable time back.

Cheers,
Emiel
--