New project machines on order.

Jason Smethers jason at smethers.net
Tue Sep 6 14:02:06 PDT 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    With all the NForce chipsets, in fact, because NVidia doesn't seem
    to be very open-source friendly people.  I'm sure there are things
    that won't work, but since it's a server and I'm going to be
    throwing in a 3ware card the only thing I would really like to see
    working, to avoid having to throw in another card, is the on-board
    GiGE.

    In anycase, I'll give everyone a full report once I've had a chance
    to play with it.
The newer versions of this board have a different chipset fan. Mine runs
just below 5500rpm, and the chipset stays between 40 and 45 degrees C.
It doesn't have the problems that earlier version have, but it is the
loudest fan in the case.

I have one of the onboard NIC's working with the sk driver. FreeBSD
currently has a driver, nve, for the other NIC built into the nForce4
chipset. I suppose someone will eventually import the nve driver into
DragonFly, now.

I have not messed with the onboard RAID controllers yet since I have yet
to order new hard drives for it.

- Jason