Packaging Questions

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat Oct 22 11:47:00 PDT 2005

> Basically what I'm worried about is ending up with a system that
> has half the dependencies upgraded -- and being forced to downgrade
> them all by hand to get things working again.

One further comment (re-reading your original post):

If the pkgsrc tree, at the time of an attempted upgrade, is such that
all packages individually build with up-to-date dependencies, then
pkgmanager is semi-guaranteed do to the correct thing.

Packages are always installed in the correct order (dependency wise),
such that the final state of the system is equal to that which you
would have gotten if you had started with the up-to-date pkgsrc tree,
no packages installed, and simply done 'make install' in those
packages you want.

(Further details are on www.scode.org/pkgmanager)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at xxxxxxxxxxxx>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at xxxxxxxxx
E-Mail: peter.schuller at xxxxxxxxxxxx Web: http://www.scode.org