DP performance

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 10:39:50 PST 2005

--- Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> :What kind of "benefits" would be realized for
> :systems being used primary as a router/bridge,
> :given that its almost 100% kernel usage?
> :
> :DT
>
>     Routing packets doesn't take much cpu
> unless you are running a gigabit
>     of actual bandwidth (or more).  If you
> aren't doing anything else with
>     the machine then the cheapest AMD XP will
> do the job.

Then let's pretend that we are routing "lots" of
packets, ok?

Obviously the goal of a DP machine is to break
the performance ceiling of a single processor
machine, otherwise why would anyone spend the
extra cash?

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/