HEADS UP: FreeBSD pkgsrc binaries and manuals being moved

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Tue Nov 1 09:57:06 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:36:10AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     The FreeBSD packaging system binaries (and manuals) are being moved
>     out of /usr/sbin and into /usr/freebsd_pkg/sbin.  People who still
>     need to use the FreeBSD packaging system will have to add
>     /usr/freebsd_pkg/sbin to their path.  The binaries will be left there
>     through the Christmas release to provide a migration path, but will be
>     removed in HEAD after the release is rolled.

I wouldn't install them at all and effectively just invert NO_PKGTOOLS.
Yes, we have to convert the BSD installer packages, but that shouldn't
be a problem.

>     The NetBSD pkgsrc bootstrap will be integrated into the ISO for the
>     Christmas release.   People building ISOs will have to have a pkgsrc
>     tree broken out.  I haven't determined how much of it will be needed,
>     but certainly at least /usr/pkgsrc/bootstrap will be required.
>
>     The related commits for both these items are going in today.

Please hold this off a bit. I will provide the binary bootstrap kits for
integration into nrelease, I just need to catch up with Jeremy's changes
in pkgsrc. There isn't really a need to have pkgsrc itself installed.

Joerg