DP performance

Marko Zec zec at icir.org
Wed Nov 30 10:27:47 PST 2005

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 03:08, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> Marko Zec wrote:
> > Should we be really that pessimistic about potential MP
> > performance, even with two NICs only?  Typically packet flows are
> > bi-directional, and if we could have one CPU/core taking care of
> > one direction, then there should be at least some room for
> > parallelism, especially once the parallelized routing tables see
> > the light.  Of course provided that each NIC is handled by a
> > separate core, and that IPC doesn't become the actual bottleneck.
>
> On a similar note, it is important that we add the *hardware* support
> for binding a set of CPUs to particular interrupt lines.

Yes that would be nice.  Alternatively one could have separate polling
threads on per-CPU/core basis for handling different interfaces.  Maybe
such a framework could even allow for migration of interfaces between
polling threads, in order to dynamically adapt to different workloads /
traffic patterns.  With hardware interrupts such an idea would be very
difficult if not completely impossible to implement.

Marko