Upgrade problem (1.2.x --> 1.3.x)

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Nov 22 06:06:57 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:41:40 +0100
Ochronus <ochronus at xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a 1.2 release Dragonfly system, and as the new gobsd pkgsrc
> binaries require the new ABI introduced in 1.3.x (1.3.5, as I recall), I
> tried to upgrade my system.

	Read /usr/src/UPDATING whenever you do this.

> make buildworld - success
> make installworld - tells me to upgrade the kernel first and reboot
> kernel compile - config MYKERNEL says that the config utility is too old.

	in there you will find (among other things)

To upgrade a DragonFly system from sources you run the following sequence:

   cd /usr/src
   make buildworld
   make buildkernel KERNCONF=<KERNELNAME>
   make installkernel KERNCONF=<KERNELNAME>
   make installworld

You will also want to run the 'upgrade' target to upgrade your /etc.  The
upgrade target is aware of stale files created by older DragonFly
installations and should delete them automatically.

   make upgrade

	Personally I think there really should be a 'reboot to single
user mode' instruction between installkernel and installworld.