startx does nothing

Erik P. Skaalerud erik at pentadon.com
Wed Nov 30 14:48:37 PST 2005

joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 06:29:53PM +0100, Erik P. Skaalerud wrote:
A good example is a sshd who lost contact with DNS. If you are lucky
you'll get a login prompt after about 2 minutes. If you're not lucky,
sshd just kills the connection.

Disable client IP resolution? It doesn't belong in sshd either, used for
some interesting stats too. For the case of OP, you should normally have
an entry in /etc/hosts for your hostname, that avoids this entire issue.
Joerg
I know that there are workarounds for this in sshd, but that wasnt
really the point. My question is why the internal resolver uses such an
absurd timeout on resolving.

- Erik