Upgrade problem (1.2.x --> 1.3.x)

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Wed Nov 23 02:52:21 PST 2005

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:20:06 +0100
> Sascha Wildner <saw at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>
>> > Personally I think there really should be a 'reboot to single
>> > user mode' instruction between installkernel and installworld.

So do i.

> Single user mode minimises the amount of the old world that
> is running which may be a good idea especially if there are a lot of
> services turned on.

Personally i have been bitten once on FreeBSD 3 or 4.
There had been changes
in the kernel NFS stuff, i rebooted inadvertently multiuser,
instant panic when mounting NFS shares. Rebooting
single user should be a required step in the upgrade procedure,
unless it is absolutely impossible (collocated machine) and
in this case i suspect no reboot at all is less risky. Even
if the make installworld doesn't succeed completely, there is good chance
that a reboot to multiuser will work and allow to do it a second time.

--
Michel Talon