Upgrade problem (1.2.x --> 1.3.x)

Ochronus ochronus at all.hu
Tue Nov 22 06:33:52 PST 2005

Thank you all for your quick replies,

Meanwhile I found out that I should do some RTFMing ;) so I did make
buildkernel and installkernel. Everything went fine, I rebooted, did a
make installworld, then rebooted again, just to make sure, and then came
chaos :) I got the login prompt, when I entered the username, It said
that pam_login was missing, and nothing happened.

Should I rather start with a Preview snapshot iso?

Thanks,
Ochronus
Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

    in there you will find (among other things)

To upgrade a DragonFly system from sources you run the following
sequence:

   cd /usr/src
   make buildworld
   make buildkernel KERNCONF=<KERNELNAME>
   make installkernel KERNCONF=<KERNELNAME>
   make installworld
You will also want to run the 'upgrade' target to upgrade your /etc.  The
upgrade target is aware of stale files created by older DragonFly
installations and should delete them automatically.
UPDATING is slightly wrong there since 'make upgrade' will try to delete
all stale files (not only in /etc).

    Personally I think there really should be a 'reboot to single
user mode' instruction between installkernel and installworld.
You will be told to reboot before installworld if necessary (see
original posting). Not to single user mode, though.

Sascha

smime.p7s