Sugestion: DragonFlyBSD Hackathon?

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Wed May 25 10:18:07 PDT 2005

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
Last I checked, we were a virtual community, no?  Can't something be
setup "electronically" to pull together the various hackers?
That's possible, but one of the cool things about a hackathon is the
meet & greet in real life with the other characters on the MLs, IRC,
etc. And you can smack sloppy coders in the face if they made a bugaboo :P.

EU developers already sound organized, with looking at meeting near
Liverpool this summer ... who do we have NA based, and where?  Is there
a central location where all could 'meet and go online'?  Or maybe setup
two locations?
Well, organized... it's basically an idea in it's infancy, which should
become solid at the end of next month. In Liverpool, there's this guy
called Liam Foy, who has offered his place and uplink for a couple of
days. Don't imagine it to be large though.

With all the various IMs, and webcams, and such, it shouldn't be too
hard to make a 'virtual convention center', no?  Provide lurkers with a
"look, but don't speak" view on things, and have 'active hackers'
register as non-lurkers ... ?
Pfew, that's something for a bigger event, and you lose out on meeting
real persons. Social bonding is a strong plus for keeping a project
together and fueled with new ideas (that's why multiple overseas branch
offices working on the same thing work out only slowly).

Cheers,
		-- Thomas E. Spanjaard
		   tgen at xxxxxxxxxxxxx