Dragonfly BSD kernel model

Dragutin Cvetkovic drazha at maildrome.com
Sat May 21 09:29:08 PDT 2005

Sascha Wildner wrote:

Dragutin Cvetkovic wrote:

Another source, the Wikipedia uses a similiar split, although they
are mentioning Exokernel models as well.

I was wondering, apart from the difference of opinion about thread
handling BSD should have, is this project going to address the kernel
model issue as well?

According to you, is the BSD kernel monolithic, layered or
client\server  (microkernel) oriented?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonFly_BSD#Kernel_architecture.

Sascha

I have read through the article and I am left with a question:
In what way will the Dragonfly BSD be a hybrid of monolithic and
microkernel model?
Although this question seems to be answered in the text, it would be
nice to have a black-and-white list, explanation, with a number of
diagrams explaining the exact intended architecture of the kernel.
Which services will stay in the kernel, which will be moved over to the
user space? Can we see a more detailed elaboration on the context
switching and message passing between the two spaces?
Personally I find the lack of proper development and design
documentation a big pitfall for many of the free/opensource projects.

Best regards,
--Dragutin Cvetkovic