Default tar for 1.3 and later

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue May 3 09:46:01 PDT 2005

:On 5/3/05, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:> Hi all,
:> is there any objection to switch the default tar to BSD tar?
:> GNU tar will be kept, since some features for tape handling
:> and updating are missing in BSD tar, but the latter does a
:> better job for the normal use cases.
:>
:> Joerg
:
:I think this is a good idea as fbsd has already switched all of their
:userbase over to the bsdtar, and for the most part without any
:problems.
:
:There have been a number of bug fixes and clean-ups' committed that we
:should import before making the switch, but other than that there is
:no reason to not go ahead and make the switch.
:
:--
:                                            -David
:                                            Steven David Rhodus
:                                            <drhodus at xxxxxxxxxxx>

    I have reservations about changing out tar, but I do believe that
    we should follow the other BSD's in this regard.  I suppose it's
    better to get the pain over with now (when pain is expected) then
    later!

    Joerg, this might be a good place to do a symlink setup.  i.e.
    install gtar and bsdtar independantly and create a symlink architecture
    (that can eventually be turned into a varsym architecture when we
    turn varsym's on by default) for 'tar'.  It would be a good preview/test
    of the type of architecting we are going to have to do for package
    installation and multi-versioning.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>