pkgsrc

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Thu May 26 14:55:59 PDT 2005

walt wrote:
Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

[redirecting back to users@]

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 10:45:34AM -0700, walt wrote:

I notice that pkgsrc lacks a jdk or even jre port (other than linux).

The JDK port is left out of the main tree because of Sun's license.
You can get it from pkgsrc-wip.sf.net.

Heh.  I've taken several hours to reply because I'm still downloading
(it seems) the entire SUSE linux distro, just so I can use the sun-jdk
linux-javac compiler to compile the jdk sources for NetBSD.
So far I have no reason to doubt that this will all work eventually, but
I must say that IT"S A PAIN IN MY BACKSIDE!  ;o)
I'll post an update in a while (hours? days? eons?).
Oops!  I just got six 'previously applied patch' errors after the
SUSE linux distro finally finished downloading and the jre pkg started
building.
I'll see if I can hack around the 'patch' errors.  Yes, I know the 'wip'
stands for work-in-progress, so I'm not criticizing pkgsrc.  My point
really is that a great deal of work is being duplicated by groups of
talented people who really should be working together.  Yes, this is
the stated goal of the pkgsrc team -- I wish them success in uniting
the open-source developers, and I hope it happens sooner than later!