aura_exec don't return from running script in /etc/rc.d/

sam samwun at hgcbroadband.com
Sun May 22 22:30:29 PDT 2005

Chris Pressey wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:34:59 +0800
sam <samwun at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Chris Pressey wrote:

On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:16:24 +0800
sam <samwun at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I found that aura_exec in bsd_installer don't return from executing
"/etc/rc.d/ppp-user restart".
I ended up use system
popen("etc/rc.d/ppp-user restart > /tmp/ppp.out &", "r+") handle the
task.

Sam.

Hi,

There is no such function "aura_exec" in the installer codebase.

Sorry, that is aura_popen.

OK.  aura_popen() is a nearly identical copy of the popen() function, so
I'm skeptical that there are any problems in it that aren't in popen().
What are the exact arguments you called these functions with?  I assume
the text you gave above isn't exact (since you're missing a slash in
front of "etc" in the second command line.)  If, for instance, the
underlying problem you are having is that the ppp-user script is hanging
for some reason, then of course the command line that has an ampersand
at the end will return, while the one that doesn't, won't, regardless of
whether you use popen() or aura_popen().
I invoked argument "/etc/rc.d/ppp-user restart" in the aura_popen(), but
it didn't return from executing the script. Now I switched back to
popen. I may be still using the old version of aura_popen(), which I
haven't update for 8 months or so. If during the library that consist of
aura_popen() had been changed in the past 5 - 8 months, please let me
know where I can download and update the library.

Sam.

-Chris