Dragonfly BSD kernel model

Dragutin Cvetkovic drazha at maildrome.com
Sat May 21 06:33:37 PDT 2005

Hello,

I did a bit of online research and reading on the topics of kernel
models as a part of my studies.

A. Tanenbaum splits different kernel models into the following groups:

1. Monolithic
2. Layered
3. Client\Server
4. Virtual Machine
Another source, the Wikipedia uses a similiar split, although they are
mentioning Exokernel models as well.

I was wondering, apart from the difference of opinion about thread
handling BSD should have, is this project going to address the kernel
model issue as well?

According to you, is the BSD kernel monolithic, layered or client\server
 (microkernel) oriented?

In which kernel model do you believe the future lies in?

Best regards,
--Dragutin Cvetkovic