Spontaneous reboot before AND after memory swap

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri May 20 10:29:41 PDT 2005

:Hi all,
:
:This is FreeBSD specific, but this server might be going to DFly soon.  Also,
:I'd like to get a second opinion to the FreeBSD list.
:
:I'm running 4.11 on a server, and for the last week or so it has been
:spontaneously rebooting about once a day or so.  It has 512M of memory.
:
:I ran memtest and it causes the reboot as well.  I went and bought 2 sticks of
:memory, took out the old one, and put the new ones in.  That gave me 1G.  But
:a buildworld fails with signal 11 and memtest still causes the reboot.
:
:Any ideas?
:
:Jonathon McKitrick
:--
:My other computer is your Windows box.

    Make sure all your fans are working.    If the BIOS has a way to set
    the FSB and CPU frequencies, try slowing both down a bit and/or
    relaxing the memory timing.

    If that doesn't work then without further information I just don't know
    (kinda hard if it's spontaniously rebooting without generating any
    messages on the console!).

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>