beagle/desktop

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri May 6 23:32:01 PDT 2005

On Sat, 07 May 2005 00:37:31 -0400, viniosity wrote:

>> True for TV stuff like lacking get MythTV works, but DVD, xvid/divx and
>> any codecs work great with FreeBSD. If I want a PVR, I would grab Linux
>> or Windows instead any of BSD. As for movies like DVD or whatever, any
>> BSD work fine just like Linux.
>>

> Can BSD play sound from multiple sources at the same time?  Linux has a
> problem with that..

Someone will have to answer that kind of question for me, because I am
deaf. ;-)

>> Beagle requires Mono too, which will not work on FreeBSD 4.x at all. It
>> might be work on DragonFly since it now has TLS, 1:1 thread library and
>> etc. But, it's very possible that there are few things left that to
>> need to be add few stuff like ttyname_r()[1], functions in libc,
>> userlands and etc.
>>

> Geez, I would looove to see Beagle (and best) on BSD!  Too bad I'm not a
> programmer or I'd work on it myself.

Mono 1.1.7 works a lot better with FreeBSD 5.4 and 6.x now so far, but
still need a few works left to get same as how Mono runs on Linux.
DragonFly users and/or developers can take the look at 'FreeBSD' define in
the source codes to see if it needs to add 'DragonFly' define too.

As for Beagle, I haven't actually take a look at it yet but you can take a
look here.

http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/cvs/cvsbrowse.php/bsd-sharp/FreeBSD-ports/deskutils/beagle/

I am helping with tmclaugh with Mono and other stuff in BSD# project.

http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?bsd-sharp

Bill Middleton did a very good job with get many patches into Mono and now
it will compiling in FreeBSD almost vanilla without any of patch. Also,
it got Mono runs a lot better on FreeBSD. I think, FreeBSD -CURRENT
libthr and DraonFly libthread_xu are near same. Mono runs better on
FreeBSD -CURRENT libthr than libpthread (KSE).

Cheers,
Mezz