Emergency Editors (was Stabble Tag move)

Jasse Jansson jasse at hornet.ac
Mon Mar 14 11:02:02 PST 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 1:17 PM, Bill Hacker wrote:

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

Hi Michel Talon,
you wrote.
MT> Note that in both cases a .termcap.db is first called in  user's
home,
MT> so the presence of a copy of termcap.db in /root would solve the
problem,
MT> perhaps a reduced copy, with just the console termcap.
If it's statically linked, how about integrating a fall back config
right into the binary? Far and by large, just about anything should do
lowest common denominator I'd say...
We're way OT by now...

What is needed is a better simple  'emergency' (single-user mode)
editor than an 'ed'  - which is for *real* emergencies,
or an over-qualified vi you can't even invoke.
One that doesn't have the '*N*X disease' of needing libs and
tools and db's scattered all over /dev/hades and half of Texas.
- At the very least they fail to find /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1

What is needed should be self-contained. One binary, full stop.

Nothing at all fancy. Text-mode, no frills. Nothing fancier than
block moves, search and replace.
That's all you need to get out of a jam.

Bill
That was what I was asking for, but I didn't use enough words ;-)
Your description is perfect.
J^2