Emergency Editors (was Stabble Tag move)

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 14 06:16:57 PST 2005

B1389 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:06:26PM +0100, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
>
>>Hi Joerg Sonnenberger,
>>you wrote.
>>JS> Why do we need such an editor? Heck, we are talking about a situation
>>JS> where you can't mount /usr. In which situation would an editor be
>>JS> needed for that? I can't imagine any.
>>
>>How about editing fstab not to include /usr so you can continue to
>>boot (a lot of stuff is easier to fix when the network's up) ?
>>Yeah I know, we could do that with head and tail ;-).
>>
>>But yes, there's a point.
>

> Well, how do you want to continue to boot without /usr ?!
> You can directly configure your network or call the rc scripts
> if you really want to.

After a UPS blowup (and I mean smoke and leakage) a part of / and /etc
was corrupted leaving my fstab , rc.conf and some other stuff crippled.
In my case I did a boot with the dragonfly cd , mounted the partition
and restored a backup.
However I could imagine that adminstrator of a headless machines without
cd drive could get into a mild panic ;-)

--
mph