PS/2 mouse problem

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Sun Mar 13 13:16:01 PST 2005

Damilakis wrote:

--edited XF86Config
Device "psm0"
Protocol "/dev/ps/2"

No such device as '/dev/ps/2'
/dev/psm0 or /dev/psm%d

yeah, that was a typo in my email message, I meant Device "/dev/psm0" and
Protocol "ps/2"

Unfortunatly the configuration that you wrote is the exact configuration I had
in my system.
Not if you still mean "Protocol" "ps/2" it aren't....

I used "Protocol" "Auto"   - not "ps/2"

*Prior to that change* I had the same problem you describe....
else total immovable meese.
Was solved (at that time) only with a manual mouse startup
script which was executed prior to invoking startx.
No longer needed here.

 (well except of the Emulate3 buttons option which I added now
but with no results.)
As said, shouldn't be needed if you actually *have* an (effective)
third button  i.e. you can depress the roller-wheel to trip
a microswitch.
You can test that even before login - drag-highlight screen
text, click the wheel, move to the active CLI (next to 'login:)
click again and it should 'paste'.
- Presuming the commands in /etc/rc.conf worked at all...

in /etc/rc.conf:

moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_type="auto"

(/etc/X11/XF86Config - FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE)

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "Mouse0"
  Driver      "mouse"
  Option     "Protocol" "Auto"
  Option     "Emulate3Buttons"    ## if no switch under wheel
  Option     "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
  Option     "Buttons" "5"
  Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

The thing is that the moused_ commands that are in the rc.conf seem not to
have any effect (even if I write them manually in the console). If I startx
the mouse pointer remains dead, it doesnt move. I have to 'moused -p
/dev/psm0 -t ps/2' in order to have it partially working (up and right
direction).
Type ps/2 is also not what seems to work here....

By that point, BTW, you should be able to use the
virtualized driver - /dev/sysmouse
(did you get normal mousing in the CLI before startx?)

As a sanity check, what other devices are attached to the system?

I attach my dmesg log if there is anything there that can help.
Sure a lot of stuff on Interrupt 11.....

Also note:

psm0: model 4D+ Mouse, device ID 8

- different Mouse model than I have -

Can you 'liberate' another mouse and test it?
How about a USB or serial mouse?
--
acd1: DVD-R <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B> at ata1-slave PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad2s1a

Consider replacing the cable.  *BSD's probe can be more unforgiving
than an OS that just believes what the BIOS sez, and OS/2 can ruin
your faith in metallurgy or gate delays...
Best,

Bill