How to teach OS

Steve Mynott steve.mynott at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 09:59:26 PST 2005

The  OS intro course I took as part of CS in the UK  about 10 years
ago used the "Dinosaur" OS book  by Silberschatz which still seems
around.

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/0471250600/102-4854116-7605760?_encoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books>

The edition I had claimed Mach to be fast which I suspect was
corrected in later editions :-)

AFAIK OS theory has been pretty static and the same textbooks are
used, although Java is the popular first programming language taught
by CS depts now (back in the day it was Pascal and its cousins).
Talking of Pascal does anyone know if the old Berkeley Pascal compiler
is available anywhere?

The Stallings book

<http://williamstallings.com/OS/OS5e.html>

and Tanenbaum books are similiar intro OS books

<http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0130313580,00.html>

Tanenbaum's style was probably more interesting and easier to read.

His "Computer Networks" was an excellent introduction to that topic too.

-- Steve