SATA problem

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Wed Mar 30 09:40:32 PST 2005

Jaime Andrés Ballesteros wrote:

Ok Bill, thanks for your answer. My SATA is a Seagate 7200.7 with 120
GB. FreeBSD 5.3 doesn't recognize the geometry of my disk. FreeBSD
force me to input another geometry and gives me 114 GB and i think
this cause the problem.
Nope.  That is about all you will get.  Working with a pair of Western
Digital
120 GB PATA the last 2 days, get about 114.4 GB with either FreeBSD
or DFLY.  200 GB Maxtors, PATA or SATA give me about 190 GB or so.

Few HDD can (or should) give you 100% of the theorecticaly
available area.
i hope that DragonFly fix this problem.
Finally i'm going to install DgnFly and i tell you.
Thanks to everyone.

jab

Suggest you slice that drive into two, work at first only in the
'lower' (block-number) slice, and see if that matters, or if
FreeBSD and DragonFly are any different w/r disk layout.
I set mine up with FreeBSD tools in /stand/sysinstall,
then put DFLY on and partition the slices.
I can boot to separate root mounts, one in each slice,
but all else is shared to either.
HTH,

Bill