Epiphany Problem

James Frazer jfrazer at ieee.org
Wed Mar 30 20:32:01 PST 2005

> My guess is that if you compile the epiphany port from
> /usr/ports/www/epiphany you will be happy with the result.

You're probably right, and I appreciate the advice.

But I'm not going to upgrade from ports, as it is too much of a
risk to mess around upgrading gnome stuff.  And I don't really
have the time to wait for a million inter-dependencies to build.

The last 2 times I tried upgrading gnome or gnome components
(on FreeBSD) I broke things pretty badly.  The latest gnome 2.10
upgrade script really got things messed up for me.  Probably one
of the motivating factors for me to go back to playing around
with dragonfly and ubuntu (my FreeBSD partition now has about 20
phantom packages that cannot, through any forcible means, be
removed)

Which kind of brings up the question:  I wonder when we're going
to get an upgrade to our package management software?  I'm
looking forward to the day when my linux buddies can stop
laughing.

> Warning:  you most likely will need to compile/install the
> entire gnome port because of package dependencies.  This
> is very time consuming and a bit of a pain, but I routinely
> do it on three different operating systems, just because I
> enjoy frustration.  (Why else would I be married?)

I have nightmares of compiling gnome.  I'm not sure if it's
ever worked for me -- without dying part way through.

I don't enjoy frustration; I told her marriage was out of the
question.  ;-)