Version numbering for release DECISION!

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Mar 28 10:39:01 PST 2005

:Let's just call the branch RELEASE_x_y and have some form of tagging
:for the release branch point. That should be enough for source users.
:
:For image names, something like is patch level would be perfect.
:E.g. DragonFly-1.2.iso as name of the release image and DragonFly-1.2p1.iso
:after the first patch has been applied. That allows a user to keep track
:of what she has.
:
:Joerg

    Yah, I agree.

    I have an idea on how to tag the sub-versions... we just tag the
    sub-version in ONE file (the one that specifies the sub-version), then
    have a script which extracts the commit date based on the tag in that
    one file which can then be used in a cvs update -D on that branch
    to retrieve the whole sub-version.  One script could hide the whole
    mess.

    Otherwise we would end up with thousands of tags on every file in the
    source tree.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>