Version numbering for release DECISION!

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Mon Mar 28 09:39:28 PST 2005

Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    Maybe instead of having a -STABLE we should have a sub-version which
>    we bump automatically with a script on a day-by-day basis if any commits
>    had been maded into the branch.
>
>    so, e.g.
>
>    DragonFly 1.2.0-RELEASE             The release build
>
>    [someone makes commits to the branch]
>
>    DragonFly 1.2.1-RELEASE             Script auto-updates the sub-version
>                                        when it detects commits made to the
>                                        branch, once a day.

Well, in FreeBSD-land, any later releases made from RELENG_5_3 would
indeed be called 5.3.1-RELEASE, 5.3.2-RELEASE etc.  I'm not sure what
the system reports itself as if you cvsup to RELENG_5_3 between
releases.  If I understand you right, every time a commit is made to
the -RELEASE branch, the sub-version number gets bumped up.  I'm not
sure that's desirable.  A version number bump should be reserved for
an "official" bugfix release, with public announcement etc.

Rahul