Version numbering for release DECISION!

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Mar 28 09:29:00 PST 2005

:Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:>    The other tags are fairly similar to their FreeBSD counterparts once
:>    you compensate for the fact that they are doing a two-track development
:>    model verses our one-track development model.
:
:Actually, what you call STABLE is pretty much what FreeBSD calls
:RELEASE (the RELEASE branch, as opposed to a released version).
:This is what you'd get by using the tag RELENG_5_3 for example.
:
:What FreeBSD calls STABLE (eg RELENG_5) has no equivalent in
:DragonFly.
:
:Perhaps you can change your STABLE to RELEASE, and the STABLE name
:can just be retired altogether, since people see to find it
:confusing...
:
:Rahul

    This is a good point but I believe we have to differentiate between
    the actual release and builds in the release branch that occur after
    the release.

    Maybe instead of having a -STABLE we should have a sub-version which
    we bump automatically with a script on a day-by-day basis if any commits
    had been maded into the branch.

    so, e.g.

    DragonFly 1.2.0-RELEASE		The release build

    [someone makes commits to the branch]

    DragonFly 1.2.1-RELEASE		Script auto-updates the sub-version
					when it detects commits made to the
					branch, once a day.

    [and we get rid of STABLE entirely]

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>