Version numbering for release DECISION!

Hummel Tom tom at bluespice.org
Mon Mar 28 08:57:27 PST 2005

> naming should be clear for the user/administrator first, and if possible
> to the developers. The latter will spend energy to get informed once,
> for the former, its a management hassle.

I have to agree with that, it makes no sense to name it like the devs
think it's clear to them.
The naming scheme should be more intuitive, i think FBSDs is _not_. You
always need to spend some seconds remembering and thinking, if you dont
come in touch with it each day.

> RELEASE 1.0 --- PRODUCTION 1.0.1 -- PRODUCTION 1.0.2 ... ->

I think RELEASE is a good name, and PRODUCTION is also much clearer than
STABLE, because STABLE and RELEASE seem somewhat same-weighted.
However PRODUCTION is also not good enough i think. I'd like a word that
expesses that we are dealing with POST-RELEASE work. STABLE just doesn't
say that.

CURRENT for HEAD-development is fine, expresses nicely what it is,
simply current work.

tom