Current stable tag slip status

Gabriel Ambuehl gaml at buz.ch
Fri Mar 25 10:28:26 PST 2005

Ed wrote:

>The fact is that if you jump from major numbers (1.x to 2.x) every year, the
>first DF release with all the cool features will have a big number like 7 or
>8. And I don't think it's a good idea. Think at Mandrake 10, RedHat 10,
>Solaris 10 and so on.
>
>Also, if you follow my advice you could be able to make a big step for a
>particular milestone, for example jumping from 2.3 to 3.0. That would not be
>possible if you already jump by 0.5 every 6 months.

Considering that large parts of Dragonfly are based on a truly stable
platform, quickly claiming the ladder might give the project some
credibility (many people wouldn't touch 1.X software, it's a
psychological thing for those who've ever dealt with MS ;-) or not... It
just means that stable really needs to be stable and not contain any
known issues, IMHO.

Or you could follow Gentoo's lead (some other Linux distros have also
gone that way I think) and go with 2005.1, 2005.2 etc and then go to
2006.1 etc (or even 2005.4 since it's released in April?)? Version
numbers are pretty arbitrary anyway, so why not use something that makes
sense to humans?Anyway, you can't get much worse than Sun's Java
numbering scheme *G*