ATA anomaly Question

Gabriel Ambuehl gaml at buz.ch
Sat Mar 19 10:33:23 PST 2005

Bill Hacker schrieb:

The 'opportunity' is that, AFAIK, not all drivers are available and
ata(4)
is no longer 'universal' enough....

'conventional' IDE/ATA ata(4) driver, as shipped with FreeBSD-4.11
anyway - seems to cover the Sil, most HPT, *claims* to cover most
Promise.
That driver is as common as fly poop - it's everywhere.

High Point RocketRAID 18XX & SATA, per FreeBSD 5.3,  want: hptmv(4)
- DragonFlyBSD STABLE doesn't include that, though ata(4) seems to
serve just fine.
The RocketRAID 1820 is a weird piece of hardware for all I've read. It
seems to be some mix between software and hardware RAID and all in all
probably nothing you really care about (except if you need 8 plain SATA
channels on a small piece of PCB).

Promise 'SuperTrak' want: pst(4) - DragonFlyBSD STABLE doesn't include
that,
and the Fastrak-150 TX-2 plus are 'invisible'.

That is because Supertraks are a wholly different animal than Fastraks.
Supertrak is what people generally call hardware RAID (I know you have
your own views about the issue). Supertraks are in the same general area
as 3Ware is, i.e. the OS doesn't mess with the generation of the RAID,
it doesn't actually see it, either. It's just one big disk to the OS.

As for Sil, talk to FreeBSD's Soren Schmitt (AKA ata guy ;-) about that
piece of c***.