Support for ATI hardware

gaml at buz.ch gaml at buz.ch
Sat Mar 19 02:11:57 PST 2005

Seeing that my primary box seems to have fried yesterday (giving me the
excuse to get something new in the process), I was wondering how the state
of support for ATI graphics cards is these days? I know Nvidia is
generally preferred on OS OSes but alas, I can't find a cheap, fanless
dual head nVidia card anywhere (I couldn't care less for 3d accelleration,
but I hate fan noise) but plenty of ATI ones that fit the bill, cheap too.

I was also wondering about experiences with something like
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RS480M2-IL&class=mb
? Any chances for it to work on DragonFly (or FreeBSD for that matter)?

Or should I got the VIA KT800 route (cheap and cheerful boards are
available these days) with something like:
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8T_Neo2-F&class=mb

Of course the other question is if I should get a proper mac (writing this
on a Mini) instead.