Looking for a good DFly/BSD laptop choice

David Rhodus sdrhodus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 09:30:44 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:51:02 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick
<jcm at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wasn't in the market for a laptop recently, but I got a good pay review
> yesterday.  :-)
>
> I'd like something forward-thinking, if it isn't too expensive, but it MUST
> run DFly or at LEAST FreeBSD 4.x.  I was looking at a Gateway Athlon64, but
> I heard there are big problems with interrupt routing and BSD.
>
> I've been considering IBM ThinkPads.  What do you think?  I've heard they do
> well with *nix, and there's a bit of an IBM price premium, but that's all I
> know about them.
>
> Any advice?
>
> As of now, I have DFly running on an ancient P4-266 laptop (ask Matt about
> the fun times with the ATA driver), but I haven't gotten DFly to recognize
> my 'dangerously dedicated' FreeBSD drive on my Celeron workstation.
>
> Jonathon McKitrick
> --
> My other computer is your Windows box.

My current primary laptop is a Dell inspiron 8500.  Its a little over
a year old now but still its a 2Ghz p4 processor.  As for the video
its just an Radeon Mobility 9000, which is more than enough to run
Xwindows, fvwm and firefox.  This is the first dell laptop I've had
but I didn't have any trouble loading DragonFly onto it.  At the
office we have several slightly older HP laptops such as the HP
pavilion n5425 and they all run DragonFly fine too.

--
                                            -David
                                            Steven David Rhodus