Journaling libraries / VFS interception

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Mar 12 22:14:58 PST 2005

    The answer is: yes, but I want to wait until the journaling gets a bit
    more developed.  The work I am doing in the 'jscan' utility is designed
    to allow the scanning code to be moved into a library later on.

    Eventually I want userland to have access to filtered metadata from the
    journal for things like filesystem tracking (e.g. for a GUI).

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:Hi,
:I'm wondering if there are any plans to provide a userspace library to
:the journaling infrastructure: It'd pretty obvious that there's a host
:of potential uses for it that don't belong into the kernel and could
:greatly benefit from a standardised library (and possibly a socket
:that feeds them all the new data for thos that need to in (near) real
:time like instant replication).
:
:At first, a library that simply provides a understandable data format
:to the user land would be helpful, but ideally, a second layer
:where you can register call backs for all major functions would be a
:boon for many uses (in an OO world, I'd say a base class where you can
:override any of the functions you care to use [1]).
:...
:
:[1] preferably using inversion of control.