PS/2 mouse problem

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Sat Mar 12 21:25:04 PST 2005

Nikolaos Damilakis wrote:

Hi,
I recently installed DragonFly BSD but I cant make my PS/2 mouse work. I
searched on google and googlegroups and I saw that many guys like me had the
same problem also in FreeBSD but just a small percentage of those had
resolved it.
There seems to be a temporary problem on some hardware
combinations that may have to do with that MB chipset/BIOS,
and/or the move to USB, USB/RF, and Bluetooth meese -
many of which are battery-powered and have power-saving
logic, hence not necessarily showing up at scan time.
Short-term solution here was to experiment until a working
combination was found, then put the necessary commands into
a short shell script, 'mouse/sh' in my case, and have that run
before  startx.
This has not generally been necessary, nor should it be,
but it works until the cause can be addressed.
I have at least one of Bluetooth, USB, spread-spectrum RF,
serial, ps2 here, and a box that exhibits the problem on
several, so will try to narrow it down and report back
in the next day or so.
HTH

Bill Hacker