PS/2 mouse problem

Nikolaos Damilakis ndamilak at studenti.unina.it
Sat Mar 12 18:35:46 PST 2005

Hi,
I recently installed DragonFly BSD but I cant make my PS/2 mouse work. I
searched on google and googlegroups and I saw that many guys like me had the
same problem also in FreeBSD but just a small percentage of those had
resolved it.

My mouse works fine under WinXP, AROS and linux-slackware. It's a DEXXA
Optical (I think its being made by Logitech) wih 3 buttons, wheel mouse.

==
1> dmesg | grep psm
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model 4d+ Mouse, device ID 8
==

I tried all the configurations with the xf86cfg (and manually) but the pointer
keeps to jump all over the place and pasting things into the shells.  Those
that seem to work partly (only the right and up directions) are the
following:

====
//XFree86 configuration with moused

1> moused -p /dev/psm0 -t ps/2

-- edited XF86Config --
Protocol "auto"
Device "/dev/sysmouse"
====

and..

====
//X server only configuration - without moused

-- edited XF86Config --
Device "psm0"
Protocol "/dev/ps/2"
====

When I move the pointer to the left (even a pixel) it jumps to the far left
side of the screen, when I move it down, it jumps directly to the the bottom.
When I roll the wheel up or down it moves the pointer to the right or the
left slowly.  The only directions of the mouse movement that work fine are up
and right. Even if I dont startx and I use the mouse (with moused) in the
console the behaviour is the same.

Can someone please help me? I'm so excited about DragonFly that I even printed
some posters to billpost them at the uni (we do about operating systems this
semester so I'll try to "proselytize" some of my fellow-students) ;-)

Another thing is that while booting it stops for a while (to mount the root
partition?) and after that I get this error message:
ad2: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 0 (ad2 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0) retrying
prints this message about 3 times and then it says:
ad2: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 0 (ad2 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0)* *falling back
to PIO mode

PS: I've also tryed with the ZAxisMapping "4 5" and -z 4 options on XF86Config
and moused.
If I run moused with -d I get
moused: proto params: c8 08 00 00 3 00 ff
I dont know if that does any help.

--
Nikos