GENERIC - Raising the bar

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Fri Mar 11 13:21:16 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:08:32 +0100
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 04:44:20AM +0800, Bill Hacker wrote:
> > But might it not still be useful w/r further code streamlining -
> > perhaps a bit of reduced coding workload, potentially fewr places
> > for error, if the target set were further restricted?
>
> Actually, there are only two things which might break on older
> platforms, that's the timer code and that's the ISA-only support. I
> know that both work at least on a i486 I acquired just for testing.

Last I tried DragonFly on a 486 it worked too.  That was a while ago
though.

> Since ISA is needed for a current system anyway, there's no pressing
> reason to generally make this system not work by default. A completely
> different thing is removing unmaintained drivers for ancient hardware,
> e.g. the pre-newpcm sound drivers. Since noone said something in
> favour for them, they will be removed soon.

I'd like to do the same with the xten[d] stuff if that's OK; it would
take a lot of work to get the code to an acceptable state, and AFAICT
anyone with X10 hardware is using more the modern interfaces (control
software for which is available in ports.)

-Chris